The Secret
I just watched Larry King talk with his guests about the movie and book The Secret. First of all, Larry King bugs me. I would like to see him argue topics with his guests, instead of just asking questions and accepting the answers. That's why I enjoy Bill Maher. Oh, Bill Maher will be on Larry King on Monday, and maybe that will get Larry's pulse pumping.
Anyway.... The secret is the law of attraction, and it states that we can attract anything into our lives by simply believing in it. Well... not just believing, but truly feeling it and knowing that it will happen. This may seem like a far fetched idea when you first think about it, but I'm sure some of it is true!
Regardless of what material things you may or may not attract into your life, isn't happiness more imporant anyway? Consider this: I've always believed that happiness is a choice and everyone creates their own happiness. I haven't always lived by it, but I've been preaching it to someone for months now. When things don't go the way you want them to go, you can either chose to let it get you down, or you can chose to see the good in it and be happy and grateful for the things you DO have. The secret says that if you are truly happy with yourself and knowing that you are worth it, you will attract more things to be happy about into your life. Of course you will!! Because when you are in a happy mindset, you will not be focused on the bad and therefore you only see the positive. Bad things will still happen to you, but you won't be focused on them.
Now, whether or not you believe in The Secret and the law of attraction, doesn't it already make for a better life if you focus on the good instead of the bad? Doesn't it already build up your confidence and self-esteem if you chose to believe in yourself? People often believe that others influence these things, but the truth is, everyone creates it only for themselves and nobody else is to blame or to thank. It's a choice, and you can chose to continue to be happy. Or you can chose to doubt your own worth and chose not to be happy by BELIEVING you are not happy. Focus on the good, and the good will continue to come to you. Basically: Happiness is all in your head!!
Has anyone else seen the movie or read the book or heard all the hype? What do you think?
6 comments:
I absolutely loved your column in 'The German Girls World' this week. Have you ever thought about doing this for a career?
I have not yet seen the movie, (The Secret) however I whole heartedly echo your thoughts. I'm also a true believer that happiness is a choice, and that everyone creates their own happiness. Who wants to spend their time with someone who is constantly afraid of what's around the corner? If everyone would have lived their life that way, this world would still be in the Stone Age.
Yes, happiness is something you create yourself; however it absolutely requires taking risks. Let me shed some light on this topic and add to your theory.
How do you know that the house you're about to buy won't suddenly be swallowed by a sink hole two years down the road?
How do you know the entree on the menu which you are about to order sounds delicious, but may give you salmonella poisoning afterwards?
For some, becoming pregnant is true happiness, however how do you know you won't miscarry five weeks from now?
These are all things which make you happy; however they all require taking a risk... Along with riding a motorcycle, buying a "used" version of your dream car, and being a Cubs fan.
So the message I am trying to convey here is that everyone takes risks everyday. Relationships are no exception. I've taken a lot of risks with past relationships. I had my heart broken, ~ in fact, I thought my life as I knew it was over. Did I try again? Yes! If my heart felt something, I went for it! Sure I was afraid of the consequences and the outcome; however I learned not to take myself so seriously. I either liked something, or I didn't. It's either black or white. Ketchup or Mustard. There is no “in between”. (Spare me!) Sorry - I went off there a little bit.
I encourage everyone reading this to take more risks to incur happiness! Go ahead, - Sing like no one is listening, Dance like no one is watching, and Love like you’ve never been hurt before!
If you don’t, well then go ahead and keep wasting away in your plastic bubble which you “live” in.
Thank you again for your column, - it is not only truly meaningful, but it reinforces the fact that I am so lucky to have you as my best friend.
Love ~ Nena
Thanks Nena :)
We have both have gotten a little off topic from "The Secret" and maybe the blog should have really been titled "Happiness". But nevertheless, the message I got from the Secret is that you can chose to be happy, and that's what everyone should do! And when you have great things in your life, you hold onto them!!!
I totally agree - I think so much in life has to do with your state of mind. Even something as simple as being sick - I truly believe that negativity can make it worse!
Now following this mode of thought is easier said than done! :)
Never heard of the movie or the book - I'll have to check it out!
Yes, following it is the hardest thing ever!
Do not watch the movie. We watched it while in Florida. I guess its a Oprah movie. It 1.5 hours and they could get the point across in about 20 minutes. I actually ended up falling asleep for a while though.
Hmm... I saw it and actually thought it was quite good. They could have probably wrapped it up in less time, but it's always nice to hear inspiring stories. Especially if you're in a place where you need some inspiration yourself. Nothing like a self-help movie... ;)
Post a Comment