The things we learn about ourselves....
Going through tough times in your life usually sucks, but towards the end of it you usually realize something about yourself. Whatever it is, it's often stuff you don't really like to hear about, but it's all a great big learning experience, and through it all you grow. It's so cliche, but it's true! But the good news is that if there are things you don't like about yourself, you can change them now because you are aware of them!
So here are some things I learned about myself.... I let myself become too dependent on people. That's funny because I am actually very independent. I like living alone (not with a roommate that is), I havn't lived at home since I was 16, I don't mind moving around and starting my life all over again, and in general I've never seen myself as a very dependent person. But I have (probably more than once) done just that. Not because I intentionally did it, but it just happened that way. I was busy with school and work, and it was just easier to hang out with the same person all the time than going out and making other friends. I have absolutely no problem making new friends and meeting people, but it just didn't occur to me at the time. Mainly because I had great friends already. Until that person left one day and I found myself all alone with all my friend in other cities. Wow, what a wakeup call! The reason I bring this up is because Pablo and I recently talked about it and I've been thinking about it since then. However, I am happy to say, I've learned from it and let me tell you.... that will NEVER happen to me again!
The second thing I have learned about myself is that my hobbies and interests are ALL over the place. They always have been, and they always will be. If you ask me today what my interest are, I guarantee you that they will be different from what they were 2 years ago. And if you ask me again in another two years, they might be different again. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just that there are things that never occured to me before. Interests I never knew I had until I tried them. For example, a few years ago I went sandboarding in South Africa. It would have never occured to me to do that before, but I loved it and ever since then have wanted to do it again. And since then I have wanted to learn how to snowboard but didn't wanna settle for learning on a little hill in Illinois. I want mountains! Alps, Rockies, Andes! My friend Kerry just emailed me and pointed this out to me. She said 'you're running marathons, going to baseball games and basketball games, playing beach volleyball... it's like I don't even know you'. That's true. When Kerry and I were best friends in College, we did other fun things. And that's ok. Who would have thought two years ago that I would ever get a motorcycle? Who would have thought six months ago that I would ever sign up to run a marathon?? All this is NOT something I would change about myself. I like having different options, trying different things, and I would never want to rule anything out just because I haven't done it. I like being inspired, and my interests will change with this inspiration - with the people around me, with the places I visit, and the places I live. It's a great thing and I'm open for pretty much anything!
So those are the things I have learned about myself. I probably already knew them, but they are worth mentioning. In case anyone is interested... :)
1 comment:
I really enjoy reading about your life and how you find out things about yourself - wish I would be at that point by now! I remember how we used to figure skate in germany and it seemed like there is nothing else in your life you would rather do! You were really good and competitiv! So if you put the same effort in the new things you like - wow!
Post a Comment