Monday, June 18, 2007

Personality

After Pablo posted the results from his Myers Briggs Personality Test a few days ago, I read through his personality traits and decided I must be the same as him - an ENFP. I even read it to Annabelle, and she agreed 100%.
I then took a compacted version of the test and it turns out I am an ESFP. I read through those personality traits, and most of them were true as well, except a few little things, and when it comes to relationships. In other cases the ESFP applied more than the ENFP, and in others it was reversed. I decided I must be somewhere in between an ENFP and ESFP. Here are some of the highlights, but if you're interested, click on the links at the bottom.
Also, if you're interested to find out what YOU are, click on the link above to take the test. Let me know what you are...

ESFPs generally have the following traits:
Live in the present moment
Are stimulated and excited by new experiences
Practical and realistic
Warmly interested in people
Know how to have a good time, and how to make things fun for others
Independent and resourceful
Spontaneous - seldom plan ahead
Hate structure and routine
Dislike theory and long written explanations
Feel special bond with children and animals
Strongly developed aesthetic appreciation for things
Great people skills

ESFPs are good at many things, but will not be happy unless they have a lot of contact with people, and a lot of new experiences. They should choose careers which provide them with the opportunity to use their great people skills and practical perspective, which will also provide them with enough new challenges that they will not become bored.
Possible Career Paths for the ESFP:
Artists, Performers and Actors
Sales Representatives
Counselors / Social Work
Child Care
Fashion Designers
Interior Decorators
Consultants
Photographers

Most ENFPs will exhibit the following strengths with regards to relationships issues:
Good communication skills
Very perceptive about people's thought and motives
Motivational, inspirational; bring out the best in others
Warmly affectionate and affirming
Fun to be with - lively sense of humor, dramatic, energetic, optimistic
Strive for "win-win" situations
Driven to meet other's needs
Usually loyal and dedicated

Most ENFPs will exhibit the following weaknesses with regards to relationship issues:
Tendency to be smothering
Their enthusiasm may lead them to be unrealistic
Uninterested in dealing with "mundane" matters such as cleaning, paying bills, etc.
Hold onto bad relationships long after they've turned bad
Extreme dislike of conflict
Extreme dislike of criticism
Don't pay attention to their own needs
Constant quest for the perfect relationship may make them change relationships frequently
May become bored easily
Have difficulty scolding or punishing others

There are a couple of difficult relationship areas for the ENFP. The first problem is that many ENFPs have a problem leaving bad relationships. They tend to internalize any problems and take them on their own shoulders, believing that the success or failure of the relationship is their own responsibility. As perfectionists, they don't like to admit defeat, and will stick with bad situations long after they should have left. When they do leave the relationship, they will believe that the failure was their fault, and that there was surely something they could have done to save the relationship.

So, what do you think? Does that pretty much summarize it? I would say I'm a little bit of both. Here are some links to the full pages.
The ESFP - The Performer
The ENFP - The Inspirer
ESFP Relationships
ENFP Relationships
ESFP Careers
ENFP Careers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well, you gave mine away at the beginning! :)

Me = ENFP - without a fraction of a doubt