Monday, June 4, 2007

Well then...

I've been spending the past two months or so looking for a new job because I don't really like mine. No wait, that's a total understatement... I fucking hate my job, the company I work for, and my boss. And I must have applied for at least 50 jobs in the past month, with little or no responses. Part of the reason for this is that I'm trying to get into a different field, and with no experience in anything but airlines, that is proving to be more difficult than I thought.

Well... the last week there have been rumors going around our office that "things" are happening. What things exactly, nobody really knew. There has been some speculation that some jobs are being eliminated, but again, nothing was confirmed. My boss called me on friday to tell me that we will be having a meeting on June 14th to discuss the future plan of the company, but she didn't make it sound like a big deal, so I kept telling everyone that they are just being paranoid. My boss is in Detroit, and I am in the office in Chicago with the entire Chicago team (which I'm not part of). And after some converstations with others in New York, Houston and L.A., it turned out that every sales office in the country is having a staff meeting at the same time on that same day. Hmm.... suspicious.

So today I asked the Sales Manager of the Chicago team if he would write me a recommendation for Grad School. I didn't want to ask my own boss, because I don't like her. And I really like the Chicago boss and I know he likes me too, so I thought he would probably give me a better recommendation. As we were discussing grad school, he asked me to come into his office and close the door. Hmm... again, suspicious.

As it turns out, he thinks it's a great idea that I want to go to Grad School and he thinks this is a great time for it. Hmm... Then he swore me to secrecy (maybe posting this on the internet is violating that a little) and he told me this:

My position is being centralized. It will be announced during the meeting on June 14, and my options are to move or find a new job. And all this will happen before September.

Now, what pisses me off about this is not that it's happening. There have been plenty of rumors, and I've been wanting to leave anyway, so I'm almost happy about this. However, it pisses me off that MY OWN BOSS hasn't said a word about it, although she knows I just bought a condo. Stupid bitch!

So... I'm obviously not moving anywhere. I need to find a new job, and I need to find one soon. I've been looking for a while, so hopefully it'll soon happen. If anyone knows of any jobs that are meaningful and worthy, let me know. I'm trying to get into non-profit work because I want to help people and do something better with my life than create excel spreadsheets. Plus that will get me into a field that is more related to my potential Masters that I plan on getting.

Oh, and I'm calling in sick tomorrow!! I might as well spend the day with my parents before they leave on Wednesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! that totally sucks! At least you were already looking, right?

Enjoy the day with your parents, worry about the rest later!