Human Rights and Justice in Guantanamo
I first read the story of Murat Kurnaz last October in a German magazine. I was outraged about it then, and am still now!
Murat Kurnaz is a Turkish Citizen who was born and raised in Germany. His father was a "Guest Worker" in Germany, which is the reason he was not granted German citizenship, but rather indefinite legal residency. At the age of 19, in late 2001, he was in the process of getting German citizenship and was engaged to be married in a few months. Before starting this new life, he wanted to travel to Pakistan to learn more about his faith - Islam.
While traveling he was captured and turned over to US authorities as a terrorist suspect. He was shortly held in Afghanistan and later transfered to Guantanamo. The story gets more complicated from there, so I will at this point refer to this article for further information. There are many others out there if you google his name, this is just one of many that I read.
What outrages me about this story is that he was classified as an enemy combatant after only a short review and no substancial evidence. Clearly it was wrong and he was later ordered released. Later turned out to be a total of 4 years and 8 months. He was held by the US without any rights, for the most part without legal representation, without the involvement of the German or Turkish Governments, and - worst of all - without any human rights. The kind of torture that he describes from Guantanamo (and from German soldiers while in Afghanistan) is sick. And his story isn't the only one that confirms this. Many others who have been released explain the same conditions. Many of the people that are being held there were captured in Afghanistan or Pakistan, and turned over to the US by warlords for bounties, and have absolutely no ties to terrorism. Yes, they were bought by the US for an average of $5,000.
Some people are questioning if the tales from Guantanamo are true. WHY is nobody REALLY questioning what's going on there? Why are foreign governments staying out of it? After the release of Murat Kurnaz, Germany initially said he can't return to Germany because his resident alien permit had expired since he didn't renew it on time. They reconsidered after all the attention that was given to the case. Amnesty International and the United Nations have asked for the closing of the Guantanamo prison, but why isn't the rest of the world standing behind this? The few former detainees that have tried to take this to court in the US had their cases thrown out because it would jeopardize US security. Yes, the people that are involved in terrorism should be detained and pay for their crimes. But what about the others? There have been many suicide attempts (some successful) of detainees who have been held in Guantanamo for years, and who have yet to be charged for ANY crime. Many of them are known to be innocent, but continue to be held. When you start reading through some of the stories, it's unbelievable why they are being held. In most cases there is no reason at all, or one that can be easily cleared up by a little investigation (for example in one case it was a mistranslation between the arabic word for tire vs. airplane).
I encourage you to read some of the articles out there. Here's another one. But there are hundreds, not just about Murat Kurnaz, but about others too. They are all very interesting and give you lots of things to think about. Not just about the Bush Administration, but also about life in general and being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
3 comments:
One thing to keep in mind when reading these stories is all the information that you don’t know and that won’t be released. Quite often, people are held, and there is a lot more to the story then is released. For one reason or another certain aspects of a case are kept secret. Also, be leery of the information that is posted. I have personally encountered sites and articles that I know only tell half of the story. I can’t disclose what and whom because I am not allowed to. But I find it some what humorous that people are rallying for a cause that they are being misinformed about.
I am certain thought that at some point innocent people have been held in detention. It that kind of a situation it is bound to happen. BUT, please keep in mind that what you hear and read may only be a portion of the story and that there is a reason to it even if it’s not apparent
On another note, I hope your doing well, take care
I'm sure you're right and most people know only half the story - me included. I do however believe that some of it is true. And even if only a quarter of the story is true, that is still enough reason to be concerned about it.
As I said in the blog - with all the contoversy about this, I wish someone would really investigate it and tell everyone what is true and what is fiction. I bet we would all be surprised.
The most important thing is for people to inform themselves about what is going on in the world and in this country, and to question things. Question IF it's happening and why it's happening and then make up their own mind about what they feel is right and wrong. There are people who have never even heard of Guantanamo and have no idea where and what it is...
Since when do we do not question any kind of information we passed by on our every day life? Are you guys believing all the BS you hear on TV ? NO! But that help you to stay on your guard!!! We should always try to question the world that's surrending us.
I think that's great Christine tries to keep always an eye open and to be cautious with all the news that she's seeing on tv. But i think higher of her for the fact that she's also always looking for the information for herself: surfing the web, reading papers and not ONLY looking at one source of infos like a controlled media!
When the government is trying to control every aspect of a society then freedom is in grave danger!!!
Don't think that i'm giving an easy speech or worse that i'm a anarchist or something cliche like that.I just think god gave us a brain let's use it and let's not let anyone choose for us! Free Will is a gift !
Post a Comment