I'm back!
But too tired to write more than a few lines now... But I wanted to say I'M BACK! :)
Trip was good, but more details to follow some other day. The actual flights worked out pretty well too. Over breakfast two weeks ago Aaron promised he would upgrade me on my way out, but of course when it came down to it he was missing in action. Thankfully I have learned not to count on him, so I had a backup and was upgraded anyway :)
The return today didn't go nearly as smooth. There are two flights from Frankfurt to Chicago on Lufthansa, and both were oversold. The first one was oversold by nearly 40 people, and required me getting out of bed at 4am. The second was only oversold by 10 people, but was one of the last flights of the day to the US. A so-called "Trash Collector". You can never count on those flights, because they could fill up last minute with people who missed their connections throughout the day. My suspicions were true, and 5 minutes before departure the flight was done and full, and paying passengers were still standing at the gate with no seats left. I snuck over to the gate agent to tell her that I am an ID passenger (=employee) and that I would take a "jump" seat if I would get one. Jump seats are the seats the crew usually sits on (the ones that fold down) and airlines are sometimes able to give them to their employees at the captains sole discretion. Sometimes they allow it, sometimes they don't. Today they did, although I work for Air France and not Lufthansa, they put me on a jump seat :) This was my first jump flight in my 6 year airline history. What a way to go out on my last flight.... I must say it was still a really nice flight thought. The flight attendants were great, and even made me a hot water bottle (literally) during the flight to keep warm, and kept bringing me hot tea (it was freezing on the plane).
Unfortunately, my bag did not make it. Supposedly it will be delivered tomorrow. We shall see...
Anyway... I'm glad to be home :)
2 comments:
On a jump seat for how many hours?! Yikes!
At least you got home! Now for your luggage...
The flight was about 8.5 hours, and I was on a jump for a little more than half. It really wasn't so bad. It wasn't any more uncomfortable than the regular economy seat, and I was really into my book anyway, so it didn't matter where I was sitting. I once flew on the jump seat in the cockpit of a 747 (by choice) during landing in Frankfurt. I was only in that seat for about an hour, but THAT was uncomfortable. This was back in the day when it was still allowed to have airline employees in the cockpit....
My luggage was delivered to me last night - in the middle of the night at 12:30am.
I'm just glad I made it home and my luggage followed eventually....
Post a Comment