Fireworks
As a kid, I was sooo afraid of fireworks! In Germany we generally only had fireworks on New Years Eve, and I remember one NYE when my parents and their friends were all in the back yard shooting off fireworks, and me and my neighbor were at the front door too afraid to move... in any direction, but especially towards the back yard.
Those days are looong gone! I think my real love for fireworks started somewhere on a beach in Newburyport, Mass, on what may have been the most romantic first date ever. Except, it wasn't really classified as a first date. It wasn't the greatest first date I'd ever been on - that happened much later - but it was still pretty memorable. I couldn't have melted faster... All I need to say is there was a beach with no people (except obviously two of us) and fireworks immediately in front of us. If I didn't know better, I would have thought it was totally arranged. But it wasn't... To this day I don't know why there were fireworks, and who the target audience should have been. There wasn't anyone else around!
Ever since then, or probably even before, I have LOVED fireworks. I saw the Boston Fireworks two years in a row, and the first year was absolutely amazing! We ended up finding one little patch of grass in between a million people (literally) and it turned out to be the most perfect spot! The fireworks were being launched right in front of us, and it felt like they were coming right at us each time. It was like the show was just for us.
Since I've moved to Chicago, I've attempted to see the Navy Pier fireworks many times but never quite made it. I wanted to go tonight, but nobody else wanted to go. Since I was pretty tired from running around all day, that was actually fine with me. I considered going by myself for a while, but ended up staying home. At around 9pm took a little walk through my neighborhood. I certainly got my fix of fireworks there!! They were all around! I wish I had a roof deck to watch it from, but seeing them from the street was still pretty cool :) I'm back inside my place now and it's still going on. It actually sounds like a war out there.... kinda scary. Still, love fireworks!
Pablo told me yesterday about this Fireworks competition in San Sebastian, Spain. That's just awesome!! I've added it to the mental list of 'things to do before I die'. Thanks Pablo!!

No comments:
Post a Comment